Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Commenting on Commentary

As I was working on my editing research paper last week, I was surprised to see so much praise for reader comments and other user feedback at the end of articles. My initial hypothesis was that that these comments are mostly ignored, but apparently, many reporters actually do pay attention to what we have to say, and in some cases will seek out specific commentators for potential story leads.

I'd like to believe that this is true. As a favor to a fellow teaching assistant, I had to comment on blog postings from some journalism 200 students last week, and I was pleased to find that some of them were actually having a dialogue. However, I notice that most blog postings for our class go unnoticed. (And to clarify, I'm not calling anyone out here - I've probably been pretty lazier than all of you on the commentary front this semester.) I guess after writing that paper, I'm curious to learn a little about everyone's posting habits. Does it bother you if my peers and I don't respond to your weekly thoughts? Do you always respond to your readers? Do you find yourself responding to blogs outside of this class? Let me know.

**I feel like a dork for posting this, but it really is on my mind.

1 comment:

  1. I think comments are a wonderful tool for some good dialogue in the blogosphere. However, sometimes I think journalists can take them too seriously. On CNN's "Newsroom," anchor Rick Sanchez will often real aloud random comments that are happening live online as the show moves along. Something about this is weird to me. I think it's just the fact that comments are often anonymous and the posters have zero credibility. I don't think the news is operating properly when such things are read aloud on a well-respected network.

    ReplyDelete